Monday 17 May 2010

Break, Fix, Improve

For those of you who don't know, I like to run. I'm not saying I'm any good, I just enjoy it. Outside or on the treadmill, running enables me to clear my mind and to stay fit at the same time, as well as catching up with my iTunes library. Just recently I've had a niggle in my left knee. Nothing too bad to start with, but I ignored it and it got progressively worse. A few days ago I was running on my treadmill (thinking this would be easier on a sore knee!) and I had to stop. It suddenly really hurt and I slowed to a walking pace. After a few minutes the pain had cleared and I upped the pace once more. For a about 5 seconds, and BAM! My knee just gave out. Finally, I took this as a sign to get off, apply ice and to check out symptoms, diagnoses and suggested treatments.

So here I am needing to train for a 20K off-road event next month and unable to run. I need to rehab my knee first before entertaining serious training. I ignored the warning signs and I'm now paying the price.

The good news is that I've established that I neglected some things in my training which, along with just plain doing too much too soon, contributed to the injury. So along with fixing this particular problem, I now know how to improve my fitness regime.

I will come back stronger.

Business parallels? You bet! One for next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment