Monday 17 May 2010

Who are you and what do you do?

I recently sat down with a small company that was asking for help with its marketing. Huh? Yes, marketing. I have many years of sales and marketing experience and I get asked to help in this area often, along with my innovative business coaching engagements.

What was fascinating about the conversation was that having sat and listened to what was required and what the end result should look like, I asked what I thought were some basic questions. How are you positioning yourself versus your competition? What is your USP, if any? What are your core focus areas and what are you secondary areas of interest? What is your strategy going forward in terms of emerging markets and technology?

Long silence.

I suggested that it might be a good idea to have this information before throwing large sums of money at marketing campaigns. And that having some supporting collateral would also be useful.

Nodding heads.

So what are the answers.....? Long silence.

Would it be beneficial to have some time with the key stakeholders in a room together to get this stuff worked out? Nodding heads.

The next step is a one day session working through these very key areas, with me acting as the facilitator. A good facilitator doesn't need to have industry specific knowledge but in this case I know the customer's marketplace very well so can add even more value to the process.

As a coach I enjoy the role of facilitator and it's a role I do perform well (I know that sounds immodest but it's true). If you find yourself with a need to 'fill-in the blanks' for your business or for a particular project, feel free to get in touch. I'd be happy to act as coach or facilitator for you. Just leave a comment and I'll get right back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment